Do you currently operate on SCORM and would like to upgrade to LTI? For those of you who are curious of benefits and details worth considering, here's the article for you!
Now, I know what you may be asking: "What exactly ARE SCORM and LTI??"
We'll dive right into that!
SCORM is a .zip file of content that can be uploaded to an LMS. It is similar to LTI when it comes to the experience learners will have, however, it's very limited in what information it can transfer to an LMS system. This is usually our course of action for users who don't have a compatible LMS system.
LTI is an LMS integration where users can access SkillMill content from within their own LMS. With LTI, you can choose exactly what parts of a course you'd like to add to your curriculum. Whether that be the full course, or only simulations, we've got you covered! LTI is quickly growing in compatibility to most LMS systems, it's an exciting time for our users!
Now that we've got that covered, let's jump into our pros and cons for each! First, we'll start with SCORM.
- SCORM has been a recognized standard since 2000, which means many systems support SCORM.
- It is relatively easy to use and support.
- Users will not have access to the full SkillMill experience and can't log in to SkillMill via the web or app. They can ONLY access SkillMill content through their work or school LMS.
- Due to the fact that it's an older standard, no new features are being developed for it.
Keep in mind that there is no right or wrong standard to choose when considering SCORM and LTI. The best option is the one that works for you!
Now, let's move on to LTI!
- Once initial setup is complete, adding content to a course is very easy.
- You have the ability to choose whether you'd like to have a portion of the course in your curriculum, or the full course.
- Since LTI is an active standard, new features and functionality are still being built for it.
- Users will not have access to the full SkillMill experience and cannot login to SkillMill via the web or app - they can ONLY access SkillMill content through their work or school LMS.
- Typically requires an LMS administrator to do some of the initial setup.
- Not as widely supported on older systems.
As you can see from this article, SCORM and LTI have some things in common and some things that are quite different from one another. While SCORM may be the perfect solution for one person, LTI might be the perfect one for someone else. We hope this article helps you make an informed decision when considering which system solution is best for you!
Happy Learning! And thank you for using this resource!