LTI Installation and Configuration
What you will need:
- Ability to add an LTI Tool to the system
- Your Interplay Learning LTI Key and Secret
- Log in as a Moodle administrator
- Select Site Administration from the left-hand sidebar in Moodle.
- Select Plugins.
- Under Activity modules select 'External tool'.
- Select Manage tools.
- Within the Add toolbox, select configure a tool manually.
- Begin your external tool configuration:
- Tool Name: Enter a name for your external tool (e.g. Interplay Learning LTI)
- Tool URL: Enter the following URL: https://api.interplaylearning.com/lti
- Tool Description (optional): Interplay Learning LTI
- LTI Version: select LTI 1.0/1.1
- Consumer Key: This is your Interplay Learning LTI Key
- Enter your Shared Secret: This is your Interplay Learning LTI Secret
- Custom Parameters: Leave this blank.
- Tool configuration usage: Select "Show as a preconfigured tool when adding an external tool"
- Default Launch Container: Select "Embed, without blocks"
- Supports Deep Linking: Important, please make sure this box is checked!
- Content Select URL: Leave this blank
- From the Tool configuration usage drop-down list, select “Show in activity chooser and as a preconfigured tool”.
Adding an Interplay Course or Chapter as an Activity or Resource Item in a Module
- Navigate to the course and topic where you wish to add Interplay Learning content.
- Make sure to "Turn editing on" in the upper right of your course.
- Select "+ Add an activity or Resource".
3. Select "External Tool".
4. Leave the activity name blank for now. In the "Pre-configured Tool" field select "Interplay Learning LTI". Then click the "Select Content" button.
5. This will open up the SkillMill content selector. Choose a catalog to start. From there you will be presented with a list of courses. You can search or filter these using the provided filters. Be sure to select "Apply" to apply your filters! When you select an individual course you can choose to offer your students either the full course by selecting the Course Link or a specific chapter by selecting a link under Chapter Links.
6. After you have selected your content, it should update the “Activity Name” and “Tool URL” automatically. You can modify the activity name but you should NOT modify the “Tool URL” field.
7. Under "Privacy", if you have access to edit these settings, you will need to check all options in order for the Interplay Learning LTI to fully communicate with Moodle. If you do not have access to these settings, you may need to reach out to your LMS administrator for assistance.
8. Under "Activity Completion", the recommended settings are:
9. All other activity settings can be updated as normal for a course activity.
Once you click "Save and return to course" you should see your new LTI link.
Information about Scoring and Grades
If you choose a Course Link when you create your assignment, the LTI embeds a full Interplay Learning course. The learner's score on the assignment is the percent of the Interplay Learning course that the learner has completed. This grade will update every time the learner progresses further in the Interplay Learning course.
For Course Links, if you used the recommended activity completion settings above, it will mark the activity complete after the student has accessed the Interplay Learning course and completed at least one item within the course. If that is not desired, you should change the completion tracking option to "Students can manually mark the activity as completed".
If you choose a Chapter Link when you create your assignment, the LTI embeds just a single chapter from the Interplay Learning course into your assignment. The learner's score will be reported as 100% once they complete all the required elements of the chapter. Until then it will show as 0%. Learners must pass Knowledge Checks with a score of 80% or higher in order for that element to be considered complete.
Not a Valid Group
If you see a "Not a valid group" error when attempting to add or access content, it means that there may be a typo in your Consumer Key or Secret (you entered this in step 7 during installation). Check that the key and secret matches what was sent to you by your Interplay Learning account team and that there are no blank spaces before or after it.